Up2date hangs caused by redhat-config-network packages

Peter Boy pboy at barkhof.uni-bremen.de
Thu Oct 30 10:23:17 UTC 2003

Am Do, den 30.10.2003 schrieb Gerry Tool um 01:52:
> I persisted in using up2date to try to get all of today's updates, and
> found that the packages causing the hangs after download are the two
> redhat-config-network packages.  Everything else installed successfully.

This is due to a well known problem with up2date not beeing able to
resolve dependencies under some circumstances. While running up2date you
should watch tail -f /var/log/up2date.

If I remember correctly, the new redhat-conf* packages depend on libmd5,
which is part of the w3c-libwww-5.4.0-7 and the corresponding devel
package, which might not be installed on your system. (check wich rpm
-qa | grep w3c in a terminal window). You can install those packages
using up2date install  w3c-libwww. With these packages installed up2date
will update redhat-config-* quite fine.

May be, you should not use update-4.1.12-1, but stay with an older one.
The current version on rawhide did make thinks even worse for me.

Peter