Arjan's kernel 2.6-test9 and logitech usb mouse scroll wheel

Steve Bergman steve at rueb.com
Thu Oct 30 11:23:13 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-10-30 at 04:49, Andrew Farris wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-10-30 at 02:03, Steve Bergman wrote:
> > On Thu, 2003-10-30 at 03:26, Steve Bergman wrote:
> > > I installed Arjan's 2.6-test9 kernel on my rawhide box and everything
> > > pretty much just worked.  My Logitech cordless optical usb mouse works
> > > except I get no response from the scroll wheel.
> > >
> > > The only change is the kernel. With 2.4.22-1.2111.nptl it works
> > > fine.

Well, the usb printer was not working either.  I ended up hard coding
'/sbin/modprobe uhci_hcd' in rc.sysinit to make that work and now the
mouse wheel works.  I've never really understood how all the usb stuff
fits together, but I'm wondering how my mouse was working at all without
the usb host device module loaded.

BTW, just changing the module alias in /etc/modules.conf to point to
uhci_hcd doesn't work.