will there be a tui user config

Bill Rugolsky Jr. brugolsky at telemetry-investments.com
Thu Oct 30 15:36:40 UTC 2003

On Wed, Oct 29, 2003 at 03:08:58PM -0500, Brent Fox wrote:
> It wouldn't be too bad from a coding perspective.  Most of the tools
> that I've worked on have a relatively clean line between the backend
> that contains all the intelligence and a GUI front end.  The idea was
> that we could write other kinds of interfaces in the future without
> rewriting the entire tool.  We concentrated on GUIs for the most part
> because that's what we felt was needed by the widest audience.  Now that
> we have a decent set of GUI tools, maybe we can come back and look at
> doing TUIs for some of the tools that don't have them.

It would be great to formalize the interface between front-end and back-end,
so that everything that is done could be captured in a script log.
Doing this can be orthogonal to "transactions"; the point being that it
should be to copy the script to restore the filesystem (/etc, in particular)
to its previous state, and run a script with something like

#!/usr/sbin/redhat-config-foo -f
<script-log contents>

and achieve the same result.  With some light editing/parameterization,
I could then do the same thing across a network of machines.  I could
also check the log contents into a revision control system, along with
/etc.  Getting the tools to use "arch" for revision control would also
be a win. :-)

Regards,

	Bill Rugolsky