internet not working with arjan's 2.6 testkernels

Alejandro González Hernández - Imoq imoq at imoqland.com
Fri Oct 31 05:03:51 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-10-30 at 22:31, Michael Kearey wrote:

> Tim Kossack wrote:
> > i'm using the arjan (hope that's spelled right) testkernels with rh9/xd2
> > on my sony pcg-z600lek notebook, but all kernels newer than
> > 2.6.0-0.test5.1.36 seems to have problems connecting to the
> > internet.

[...]

> > so my question-is this a known thing, and is it fixable from my side-or
> > a bug in the (newer) kernels?
>

> I beleive ECN (Explicite Congestion Notification) is set on in the kernel.
>
> To confirm , 'cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn'
>
> If 1 then it's on. Some routers and or firewalls drop packets with the
> ECN bits set.
>
> To turn off, 'echo '0' >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn'

It is strange, but this computer (at home) has exactly the same problem.
If I use one of Arjan's test kernel then I can't make TCP connections at
all. I CAN ping hosts (local network or Internet) but I can't connect
anywhere. (And no, tcp_ecn is off).

Do you want to hear the strangest thing? If I get Arjan's kernel-source
RPM and recompile USING THE .config file for i686 from there, then
everything works fine.

Currently I am using:

[root at home root]# uname -a
Linux home.imoqland.com 2.6.0-0.test5.1.34custom #2 Sun Sep 14 16:08:26
CDT 2003 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

(notice the "test5" but also the "custom" part) and I don't have any
problem with this kernel.

At office, I can use Arjan's kernels without any problem, so, I haven't
worried to fill a bug since I can't imagine where to start doing it (or
if I should).

Anyway, just my two cents.

Cheers,

Alex.