so ... how do i get a graphical boot?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Fri Oct 31 15:21:54 UTC 2003

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003, Eric Wood wrote:

> James J. Ramsey wrote:
> > Shouldn't it be considered a bug that the "rhgb" boot
> > option isn't added by default? The whole point of the
>
> I don't have that option and I get the graphical boot after the kernel loads
> init.  Does rhgb supposed to make the entire boot process graphical so I
> don't see the kernel messages?

oh, crap, is it really because you might have /usr as a separate
filesystem?  here's the salient excerpt from /etc/rc.sysinit, which
i just now noticed the problem in:

# Start the graphical boot, if necessary; /usr may not be mounted yet, so
# we may have to do this again after mounting

RHGB_STARTED=0
mount -n -t devpts /dev/pts /dev/pts

if ! fgrep -q nogui /proc/cmdline && [ "$BOOTUP" = "color" -a "$GRAPHICAL"
= "yes" -a -x /usr/bin/rhgb ]; then   <---- HERE!
   /usr/bin/rhgb
   RHGB_STARTED=1
fi

  as i read it, for a graphical boot to start, a number of things must
be true, including the existence of /usr/bin/rhgb.  which is false if
/usr is a separate filesystem, since /etc/rc.sysinit hasn't mounted
the other filesystems yet and there is no /usr/bin/rhgb.

  am i reading this correctly?  so those of you who *don't* have a
separate /usr have been getting a graphical boot all this time, right?

rday