The User Experiance. (was Re: GPG Signatures Not Found...)

Steven Haigh netwiz at optusnet.com.au
Mon Sep 1 22:19:42 UTC 2003

Elliot Lee wrote:

>On 1 Sep 2003, nosp wrote:
>

>>Yes, I'm getting that with every package on the severn updates channel
>>(including the one you mention).  It's normal with Rawhide:
>>https://listman.redhat.com/archives/rhl-beta-list/2003-August/msg00613.html
>>

>It's _not_ normal with RHN however.
>
>You need to import the new rawhide key into your rpm database. Get
>http://www.redhat.com/security/e418e3aa.txt and run 'rpm --import' on the
>downloaded file.
>
>-- Elliot
>For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe.
>

>--

Awesome. Redhat delivers again.... As I stated in an earlier post, it's
been quite some time since I've had linux as my main desktop OS... From
running Severn for about a month now, there is only a few small issues I
have encoutered (listed below) however, on the whole, everything has
been pretty straight forward... I can IRC, surf, email, news, IM, mp3
play, rip&encode, burn CD's, access Word/Excel documents mostly without
any problems what so ever... Excellent work. :)

The problems however are as such - ranked in order of annoyance.
1) On an IMAP email account, Ctrl+Shift+C doesn't mark all threads as
read in Mozilla Mail - even though that shortcut is stated in the menu
(Messages -> Mark -> All as read) It's easy enough to work around, just
darn annoying.

2) Print quality on a Canon S400 using the gimp-print driver looks like
it's in draft mode when printing from OpenOffice. I've friggd around
with the driver settings, but haven't been able to get acceptable
quality... Even the JPG printer test in X's printconf looks like a dotty
draft mode. Solution at the moment is to reboot into XP with Office XP
to print documents. Annoying, but I don't require this *that* often.

3) Noatun and Kaboodle haven't been able to play squat in MPG files or
half of the other filetypes associated with it... Not a great concern
because XMMS whoops over noatun/kaboodle :P

--
Signed,
Steven Haigh

You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think.
We have enough youth. What we need is a fountain of smart.
I am root. If you see me laughing, you better have a backup.