False alarm: Abuse of RHN Service?

Chris Kloiber ckloiber at redhat.com
Thu Sep 4 04:06:08 UTC 2003

The information you provided was enough for me to look up some of the
information RHN keeps about your system. (As a Red Hat Support tech I
have access to some RHN stored info, like package lists.) I noticed that
RHN believes you to have 2 separate versions of up2date installed
currently:

up2date-3.9.19-2
up2date-3.9.23-2
up2date-gnome-3.9.19-2
up2date-gnome-3.9.23-2

This could be one reason why up2date is misbehaving for you, or it could
mean RHN's copy of your package list is incorrect. Make sure your rpm
database is sane and see if your system also believes these packages are
installed twice with the commands:

# rpm --rebuilddb
# rpm -qa | grep up2date

If your system believes both versions are installed, remove both of them
with the command:

# rpm -e --allmatches up2date up2date-gnome

Then download and install the latest versions of both packages as
documented on the RHN web page. Finally update RHN's package list with
the command:

# up2date -p

I have not seen one package (wget in your case) get downloaded
repeatedly like that before, but perhaps the version you have in
/var/spool/up2date needs to be deleted before you attempt to update
again.

If I assume for the moment (yes, assumptions are dangerous things) that
the package list on RHN for your system is accurate, then the two
up2date packages are the only twice installed packages you have.

Hope this helps.

--
Chris Kloiber
Red Hat, Inc.