severn up2date oddities (was RE: cyclical dependencies?)

Paul Morgan paul.morgan at jumanjihouse.com
Fri Sep 5 21:39:20 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-09-05 at 16:20, Vanco, Donald wrote:
> Shuttle i865 based "XPC" system (includes graphics and AC97 sound)
> 2.4GHz P4 (800MHz FSB, HT enabled)
> 1/2GB 400MHz DDR
> Serial ATA HD (with 8MB buffer - syncs seem to take a long time; for some
> reason smartd does not do anything to this drive - just the floppy?)
> USB KB & Mouse
> USB digital media reader
> USB floppy (not attached during any of this)
>
> 	...don't know that anything here is particularly noteworthy, just
> passing this on as it seems a bit messy..

FYI...

I have a Shuttle SN41G2 Athlon XP, ps/2 keyboard and mouse, no floppy.

Booting from the Severn Beta 1 iso hangs at /sbin/loader
I had previously been running RH9.

Installing from Taroon Beta2 iso went fine but cannot get X running
reliably...keeps dying. I first tried the generic nvidia gforce 4 mx
driver from the iso and then tried the nvidia-4363 driver from nvidia's
website. The nvidia driver was absolutely no good...locks up the whole
machine.

I am using an nvnet driver rpm that I had downloaded from nvidia a few
months ago to enable the built-in ethernet nic. Glad I kept that rpm
around.