online article: "how to upgrade to the 2.6 kernel"

Mike mike at redtux.demon.co.uk
Wed Sep 3 22:59:59 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-09-02 at 17:11, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Sep 2003, Jack Bowling wrote:
>
> > One suggestion I would offer is to *not* do a make oldconfig using a 2.4
> > series .config file when doing your first 2.6 compile. So many things
> > have changed in the overall structure that things may get missed.
> > oldconfig is fine once you have a working 2.6 .config, though.
>
> i also wouldn't bother with the System.map file.  never needed
> it so far, why start now?
>
> i'm sure there are other observations i can make after i read
> that article more thoroughly.  mostly, i'd love to get ALSA
> sound working.
>
> rday

If it helps anyone I attach a tarball of some stuff from alsa-driver
(which bviously you dont need if its in the kernel)

snddevices - script to setup alsa devices
alsaconf - config script
modprobeconf with entries for my (OSS) card
alsasound and alsactl startup scripts for /etc/rc* (amended to load the
oss mixer stuff)

You still need alsalibs and alsa-utils