RH10 multimedia support

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Sun Sep 7 17:02:37 UTC 2003

On Sun, Sep 07, 2003 at 12:23:31PM -0400, seth vidal wrote:

> > 2) Putting links to easily download copies of the codecs that are put on
> > various internet sites can bring about DMCA violation lawsuits (as
> > evidenced from the 2600.com and similar cases).
> >
> > 3) It would be a calculated risk that making it easy to link in software
> > from people who you do not have a business relationship could also get a
> > DMCA case against you.
>
> Maybe it's time someone with some money in one of the banks took this
> risk. Drew the fire of the RIAA/MPAA and fought the case not against a
> piracy claim but against a legitimate use of decss to VIEW dvds on a
> non-windows,non-macintosh platform.

  Who in Corporate America has pockets deep enough and bets enough of
its earning on Desktop Linux to go there ? I think you have more chance
to get there by making it a political problem and fixed that way, i.e.
I don't think there is any chance of this happening in the foreseeable
future <grin/>
  Good luck !

Daniel