Opinions about MAXIMUM_PARTS crippling in util-linux-2.11r-miscfixes.patch

Wojtek Pilorz wpilorz at bdk.pl
Mon Sep 8 10:01:29 UTC 2003

Somewhere between RHL 6.2 and RHL 7.3 there was a patch added for
util-linux which limits number of partitions which fdisk can handle to 15.
(MAXIMUM_PARTS #define in fdisk.h changed from 60 to 16)

My understanding is that this has been done to mask a bug in Microsoft
Windows 2000 which goes into infinite loop going back and forth
through the disk when it sees 16 or more partitions.

With this patch user of RHL fdisk cannot make such MS-irritating disk
setup.

Unfortunately the patch limits usefulness of the system for users which do
not use MS software or which use other workarounds (like using 0x85 Linux
extended partition), and who need more than 15 partitions on IDE disk.

I would be happy to see the patch mentioned either removed or modified
in such a way, that it could be run-time disabled if a users insists.

I would appreciate any thoughts and opionions.

Best regards,

Wojtek