Opinions about MAXIMUM_PARTS crippling in util-linux-2.11r-miscfixes.patch

Elliot Lee sopwith at redhat.com
Mon Sep 8 12:10:43 UTC 2003

On Mon, 8 Sep 2003, Wojtek Pilorz wrote:

> Would something so simple as to check whether the name specified matches
> .*/hd[a-l] and only then allow up to 60 partitions would be acceptable for
> inclusion in RHL?

There are too many exceptions for the rule to be useful.

I know it's a pain for the three people who have a need for more than 16
partitions per disk, but a custom-modified util-linux package is probably
the best way in the short-term, and reducing the number of partitions is
the best way in the long term. SCSI isn't going to die anytime soon. :)

-- Elliot
For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe.