Opinions about MAXIMUM_PARTS crippling in util-linux-2.11r-miscfixes.patch

James Olin Oden joden at malachi.lee.k12.nc.us
Mon Sep 8 13:12:51 UTC 2003

On Mon, 8 Sep 2003, Elliot Lee wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Sep 2003, Wojtek Pilorz wrote:
>
> > Would something so simple as to check whether the name specified matches
> > .*/hd[a-l] and only then allow up to 60 partitions would be acceptable for
> > inclusion in RHL?
>
> There are too many exceptions for the rule to be useful.
>
> I know it's a pain for the three people who have a need for more than 16
You could add one other person that would be interested in this feature (-;.

Seriously, what would be an acceptable check for this.  Is there a for
sure way of looking at something in /proc, or using an ioctl to verify
that a drive is an ide drive?  If so, I or the person originally emailing
would be happy to code such a patch.

Cheers...james