New Kernel - athlon - Mozilla

M A Young m.a.young at durham.ac.uk
Mon Sep 8 13:16:59 UTC 2003

On Mon, 8 Sep 2003, Dave Jones wrote:

> Welcome to rawhide. The fix is simple in this case at least, and doesn't
> break anything. *ponder*, how will the installer handle this if someone
> tries to update a beta1 install with a beta2 CD when that appears ?

Plain beta1 to beta2 should work as beta1 had a 2.4.20-... kernel. The
only people you annoy are those who have been tracking rawhide, and
hopefully such people are sufficently knowledgable to be able to do it by
hand (hint. rpm -ivh --oldpackage). I personally don't care as I have
arjan's 2.6.0 test kernels around, so I have to do it by hand anyway, but
this wouldn't be the first time that a beta contained package numbered
higher that the final release (eg. some of the pre-shrike betas tried
openldap 2.1.?, and shrike eventually shipped with a 2.0.? version).

	Michael Young