New Kernel - athlon - Mozilla

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Mon Sep 8 15:27:44 UTC 2003

On Sep  8, 2003, Dave Jones <davej at redhat.com> wrote:

> We had this discussion a week ago internally. I see no reason to rehash
> it when we reached concensus to make the change.

The change is that the 2.4.22-20.1.2024.etc version number was pushed
to RHN.  After this is done, there's no going back.  If we stick to
the renumber change, any new kernels pushed to RHN will be considered
older than what's in there now, so we won't get the newer kernels
tested.

If the decision to renumber 2.4.22 was made before the push to RHN,
there shouldn't have been a push with the incompatible versioning
scheme.  Now that the push happened, we have to revise the decision.

Since we want the CVS $Id:$ of the spec file to be the RPM build, and
CVS $Id:$ pretty much always start with 1., we might as well take the
1. out and use simply 2030.  This would be considered newer than the
build in RHN, would solve the problem, wouldn't make for
infinitely-long build numbers and would accomplish the goal of having
the relevant portions of the CVS $Id:$ in the build number.

--
Alexandre Oliva, GCC Team, Red Hat