some bugs related to korean chracters in severn

David Sungmin Joo djoo at redhat.com
Tue Sep 9 01:33:50 UTC 2003

Hi Brian.

Again, Thanks for your input. This is so vital in I18NQA procedures.
I have just added few things and answers to your email.
I hope this help.

Regards,
David Sungmin Joo

Brian Lee wrote:

>>Hi, I found follow bugs.
>>
>>* Some box line is appears in typing Korean chracters in
>>  gnome-terminal with ami.  But the box is disappeared when typing
>>  space. (http://www.senux.com/tmp/archive/severn/korean_gnome_terminal.png)

I am not sure this is the answer, however, for GTK2+, it has been set to
use GTK2+'s input method rather than XIM.
So to enable XIM, you need to right click on the "gnome-terminal" and
choose "Input Method" and choose XIM to use "AMI".
This is certainly a bug, we will definately have a look.

Also, the box that you are referring to is from AMI, if you go into
ami's preference and change it to commit by character, you wouldn't see
the box at all.
Since the preference has been defaultly set to commit by words, until it
has been set to a word, it is not committing and that is what the box is
meaning.
So it is not a bug at all.

>>* I think the default Korean font in Mozilla is not pretty. I
>>  think many Korean people likt gulim fonts instead of batang. Better
>>  to set gulim as default in distribution configuration.
>>  - Ugly (default now) :
>>  (http://www.senux.com/tmp/archive/severn/korean_mozilla_ugly_font.png)
>>  - Pretty:
>>  (http://www.senux.com/tmp/archive/severn/korean_mozilla_pretty_font_with_gulim.png)

Thanks for the input.

>>* The Ami is in gnome pannel. You know ami is an
>>  IM(input method) program and I think it is better to
>>  place ami in the tray of gnome panel. (Near the clock)
>>  - ami in gnome panel (now) -
>>  (http://www.senux.com/tmp/archive/severn/korean_ami_in_gnome_panel.png)

As I have said eariler email, "AMI" has a problem with GTK2+ and the
ami's gnome panel has been disabled for quite some time.
With a lot of korean developers, had discussions on this, whether we
should port ami into GTK2+. However, the ami's development has been
stoped for
quite few months now, and there are few other alternate solutions that
Red Hat is looking at right now. The Best solution that we are thinking
currently is
"Nabi" written by HwanJin Choe (a.k.a Krisna) and the other solution is
iiimf-hangul which is in Beta 1 position at the moment, if you are
interested to find out
please contact djoo at redhat.com off the list.

>>* I set the default language to Korean. Korean chracters
>>  in console mode are all broken. I think it is better to use
>>  English locale in console mode. The customized version of
>>  RedHat Linux before like alzza linux, the locale in console
>>  mode was something like "C" so the chracters are not broken.

This should been fixed ASAP. Thanks for the input, also which locale are
you using.
It has been decided that for Severn, all the CJK is going to have UTF-8
as their default locale rather than eucKR.
So please try to use UTF-8 and try this again please.

>>* Can't input Korean in gaim. When I didn't type space or
>>  non-Korean chracters at the end of each line, the line is
>>  not sent to buddy.
>>  (http://www.senux.com/tmp/archive/severn/korean_gaim_cant_input.png)

This proeblem has been there for quite a while, however this is also
reported on the upstream and waiting for fix.
Last time that I heard about this is that they may consider rewriting
the modules.

    [ 778018 ] korean last character commit ploblem.
    <http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=778018&group_id=235&atid=100235>

>>* (This is not specific one to Korean) The gnome panel is
>>  dead too often. I tried to report the bug but I can't because
>>  the bug report program is dead too.
>>
>>* Korean chracter are not shown in OpenOffice. (writer, calc,
>>  impress) Korean is shonw input bar above cells in calc but not shown
>>  in cell box. Korean in writer, impress is not shown. The the
>>  Korean chracters are show in just dots.
>>
>>  The openoffice are in gnome panel as default configuration and I
>>  think many people will click it. So this should be fixed or
>>  the default icon in gnome panel sholud replace to other programs.

This is the definate OpenOffice problem. Since there is no fontguess
tool to find out which locale it is being written.
We are currently investgating more on this subject.