RH10 multimedia support

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Thu Sep 11 11:07:32 UTC 2003

On Sat, 2003-09-06 at 02:36, Alan Cox wrote:
> > accept plugins, without actually pre-packaging the plugins in the
> > distribution?
>
> People who ship proprietary software have actually been able to get
> permission to do things like rpm/dpkg package some of the plugins by
> vendors. Its not something the project would do itself as its non-free
> code but its something people who want that proprietary code may be able
> to negotiate in many cases, or perhaps even encourage vendors to do
> themselves

http://macromedia.mplug.org/
Indeed.   A while back I negotiated redistribution rights for
Macromedia's binary-only Flash Plugin for Linux.  This allowed me to
make RPM packages and distribute them in apt/yum repositories.

Back then I was working on negotiating with other proprietary vendors
like Adobe and Opera Software, but I ran out of time.  It usually isn't
very hard to convince the companies if you speak to the right people and
inform them about the benefits of RPM packaging and automatic
distribution/upgrades with yum/apt.  The company itself may be
interested in running their own repository.

Warren Togami
warren at togami.com