New Kernel - athlon - Mozilla

Pekka Pietikainen pp at ee.oulu.fi
Sat Sep 13 11:17:37 UTC 2003

On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 04:37:00PM -0700, Jack Bowling wrote:
> > get made and by having active development pushed into an RHN channel
> > daily, if you're pulling from that, sometimes you have to do things by
> > hand to fix them up.  This is one of those cases.
>
> This may be tangential here....but how does this topic jibe with Havoc's
> statement this past summer that "Red Hat would like our kernel to be
> closer to mainstream..."
For the 2.6 test kernel rpms this is pretty much true. The 2.4 kernel
hasn't deviated much more than the RH9 one did (exec-shield being a notable
exception). Removing features from something that has been released is a lot
harder than not adding any new ones :-)

That said, rawhide-quality packages getting autoinstalled by up2date
when "just clicking a gui" is not a good idea, and should at least require
the user to click on something with skull and crossbones to get subscribed
to that channel :-)

(I use yum+manual fixing when necessary + some manual tracking of the
current installed set vs. what is in rawhide using diff of ls |awk|sed of
the ftp server vs. rpm -qa | sort to catch version numbers that go down etc.)

--
Pekka Pietikainen