X Windows problem

Andre Robatino andre at bwh.harvard.edu
Sat Sep 13 22:43:19 UTC 2003

> On Sat, 2003-09-13 at 20:33, Kyle Maxwell wrote:
> > On Sat, 2003-09-13 at 12:36, F=E9liciano Matias wrote:
> > > I confirm the bug with metacity and XFree86-4.3.0-29.
> > > icewm and XFree86-4.3.0-29 is OK.
> > > Use package XFree86.
> >=20
> > If you change window managers and the problem goes away, the problem is
> > probably with the window manager, not X. Shouldn't the bug be filed
> > against metacity instead?
>
> Yes.
> But icewm is not metacity and perhaps it doesn't not use XFree86 in the
> same way than metacity.

  I downgraded metacity to the original Severn version (2.4.55-5) and upon
restarting X the problem was gone.  Then I upgraded back to metacity-2.5.3-3,
restarted X, and it came back.  So the problem is almost definitely with
metacity.  Also, the build date for the new version (Sept. 4) suggests that
the problem started the first time I restarted X after downloading this
package.  I filed this in bugzilla (#104373).