Constant crashes

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Sun Sep 14 19:06:25 UTC 2003

Olafur Arason wrote:

> On Sun, 2003-09-14 at 17:36, Gordon Messmer wrote:
>
>> Olafur Arason wrote:
>>
>>> I've been experiencing constant crashes since I installed severn.
>>>

>> That's kinda vague.  Could you be more specific about what is
>> "crashing" and how?  Is this a kernel oops?  Does the machine
>> spontaneously reboot? Do you get any error messages?
>>

> My laptop doesn't reboot it just dies.  I cant ctrl-alt-del or
> ctrl-Sys_Req or any thing. There are no blinking lights on the
> keyboard. I have to hold down the button to reboot the computer.

So you're saying that it locks up, and that it does so both when you're
running X and when you're not (can we assume runlevel 3, then?), and
that the problem occurs both when you're running Severn kernels, and the
previously stable Shrike kernel?

If so, it sounds like your laptop may be overheating, or have other
hardware issues.  I suggest that you use some of the lm_sensors software
to monitor the temperature of your laptop to see how hot it's getting.
Perhaps locate and run memtest86 for several hours (I usually run it
overnight).  You might also want to go back to Shrike entirely and see
if the problem goes away if neither of those things gives you any clues.

> Everything about this got me leaning toward a hardware failure, but
> this only happened after I installed severn. Could this be something
> releated to acpi. Because I have to use acpi=off to boot the machine.

It could be, but probably isn't if the problem happens when you're using
Shrike's kernel.