Numlock

Thomas Dodd ted at cypress.com
Tue Sep 16 14:06:34 UTC 2003

Mike A. Harris wrote:
> So, without modifying the kernel and/or X server, you'll have to
> run setleds, or xset for X.  I dunno if the kernel guys are open
> to the idea of patching the kernel to be sane for numlock by
> default or not, but I'd consider doing it for X, especially if

I've seen several application misbehave when num-lock is on.
A big one form me is HP's SmarTest. Its's motif based. It's the UI for a
some test equipment, that I use for testing SRAM (single, dual, and quad
ports, FIFOs , and even some CPLDs). I often display it remotely to my
Linux and Solaris machines. It won't work correctly if numlock is on, on
either machine.

Sure, it's a bug in the application, but not one I can fix. HP is very
slow to fix bugs, and the fixes usually require the purchase of a new
version.

I've seen similar behavior in other apps on Solaris. So there are valid
reason not to have numlock on. I've seen a few apps on Solaris that use
the numpad keys as numbers when numlock is off too. As I recal, they
didn't behave well when numlock was on.

	-Thomas