options to kernel? - to prevent pcmcia lockup

Jim Cornette redhat-jc at insight.rr.com
Tue Sep 16 22:57:36 UTC 2003

Féliciano Matias wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-09-16 at 05:02, Jim Cornette wrote:
>
>>I am still having issues with the kernel locking up on the pcmcia
>>modules. What is the kernel option to disable pcmcia? What should be put
>>into the grub.conf file?
>>

> AFAIK there is no kernel option to disable pcmcia.
> Try :
> - chkconfig pcmcia off
> - rpm -e kernel-pcmcia.
> - add "alias pcmcia_core off" to /etc/modules.conf.
> - move /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/pcmcia/pcmcia_core.o in
> /tmp.
>
> I don't know if those tricks work.
> Hope this help.

Thanks for the thoughts. I guess the problem is with interactions
between kernel-pcmcia and with the latest rawhide
kernel-2.4.22-1.2044.nptl.athlon and also with the previous kernel
version kernel-2.4.22-1.2040.nptl.athlon

Kernel version -- kernel-2.4.21-20.1.2024.2.1.nptl works perfectly and
the following rawhide version worked with pcmcia, but had lockup and/or
long delay problems with mozilla.

To Dave Jones:
 >What kernel version ?

Ever since the number versioning change. This probably isn't the reason,
unless pcmcia-kernel is looking for this particular numbering scheme
from the past. both my current kernel version
kernel-2.4.21-20.1.2024.2.1.nptl and Arjan's kernel-2.6.0-0.test3.1.31
work alright. It is only the latter.

 >Try booting with pci=noacpi

I'll try that to see if it gets the newer kernels to boot properly.
Thanks! I would much rather have it work without the editing, but I want
to be able to test out mozilla to see if this lockup or slowdown is
still with the later kernel versions.

Jim

--
Your business will assume vast proportions.