options to kernel? - to prevent pcmcia lockup

Jim Cornette redhat-jc at insight.rr.com
Tue Sep 16 23:05:56 UTC 2003

Paul Morgan wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-09-15 at 22:41, Féliciano Matias wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 2003-09-16 at 05:02, Jim Cornette wrote:
>>
>>>I am still having issues with the kernel locking up on the pcmcia
>>>modules. What is the kernel option to disable pcmcia? What should be put
>>>into the grub.conf file?
>>>

>>AFAIK there is no kernel option to disable pcmcia.
>>Try :
>>- chkconfig pcmcia off
>>- rpm -e kernel-pcmcia.
>>- add "alias pcmcia_core off" to /etc/modules.conf.
>>- move /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/pcmcia/pcmcia_core.o in
>>/tmp.
>>
>>I don't know if those tricks work.
>>Hope this help.
>

> There have been three times that I have had the kernel boot hang on
> pcmcia startup (once each with 8, 9, and rawhide). To workaround, I
> booted to single-user mode and did a `chkconfig pcmcia off` then booted
> normally. From bash, I then did a `service pcmcia start` which would
> hang, of course, but a CTRL-C broke out of it. Mysteriously, the pc card
> actually started and I was able to `chkconfig pcmcia on`. I don't
> remember the circumstances around these events, but it seems I suspected
> the pc card had not been shutdown correctly (laptop battery went dead,
> etc.).
>
> HTH. -paul

On our linux users group, COLUG. There was mention about Red Hat using
APM to control pcmcia devices, instead of chkconfig. This was only
briefly talked about. I was hoping that it went on further. I was able
to chkconfig with my brief try with gentoo, but never so far with Red Hat.

How would APM and pcmcia services be linked or similar? Maybe that is
why the subject died off on the local group.

Jim

--
Happiness is good health and a bad memory.
		-- Ingrid Bergman