hardware question: Sony DVD with linux

Chris Kloiber ckloiber at redhat.com
Wed Sep 17 06:36:19 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-09-16 at 14:26, Jason Baietto wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-09-16 at 12:25, Florin Andrei wrote:
> > On Mon, 2003-09-15 at 08:19, Elton Woo wrote:
> > > Sony Dru-510A DVD-RW/CD-RW combo drive.
> > > http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=UJgg7nI4XwQgp01dhxkq5T03jJAcryndBY0=?ProductID=mgsKC0%2eNy4oAAAD34eUwZZM0
> > >
> > > Is anyone using this with linux? comments, please?
> >
> > Works for me. I've been able to write CD-R, DVD-R, DVD-RW and DVD+RW
> > (didn't try DVD+W). Everything done under Linux.
>
> Just a quick question: have you had success erasing and then re-burning
> DVD+/-RWs with the 510A?  If so, which of the many forks of
> cdrtools/cdrecord are you using? :-)

You only format DVD±RW disks once when you buy it. I use the command:

# dvd+rw-format /dev/scd1

(My system at work has a regular CD-RW and the DVD±RW)

When I reuse the DVD+RW, growisofs is smart enough to overwrite what's
there without formatting again. Reformatting is discouraged as it
represents another burn. Remember these disk can be written only about
1000 times. To reformat each time cuts it's life in about half.

--
Chris Kloiber
Red Hat, Inc.