Include MPlayer in beta?

Botoaca Andrei warlock_ba at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 17 21:45:11 UTC 2003

Geez to what my discussion did lead ...
OK. First I want to make my point regarding the Quote I gave from the
mplayer site:
1.I have friends who are windows users ... now let's assume (and don't tell
me linux is only for the so called experts ... because every expert started
once from 0, nada, nix, nothing!) you convince a friend that is used using
windows to use linux, and you say to him: see here you have installed your
mp3-player, but it doesn't work because of sw-patents, but if you download
from some rpm hide-out some obscure plugin "compile" it (new term for a
beginner), and install it then in some heck of a directory ... and, no ...
that's not enough: see this is MPlayer, it can play all files existent in
the world, but then again, it doesn't work, because you need a bunch of
plugins, and of course recompile it .... i'm sure he'll ask you ....then
what the f^$& are this tools installed for ? Linux sucks, I want back
windows ... and so , what have you done ? Make sure that that user will
never use linux again.
2.I have version xyz of mplayer built in. Fully functional .... but then rh
can't ship it! And the matter at the moment is not that MPlayer will patent
it's render engine ... because it's their right (i won't go ever building my
own distro calling it redhat ... no thanks ... i'll sure be more invoative
:) )... BUT ! and here is the BUTT, the plugins it uses for decoding are
patented, and it will play mostly pcm files and ... hmm ogg, and that's
about it (aaa and i forgot, it will also play maybe some it, s3m, mod
files). You want that in your distro ? Hell no. Better I download my own
thingie and install it. ANd i'm sure it's easier to teach a newbie about
some ready built rpm's hideouts than compiling the whole thing with 'zounds
of options.

That's how I see it, and here i understand redhat fully! And MPlayer too!

Tx a lot
Andrei Botoaca