Include MPlayer in beta?

Gerald Henriksen ghenriks at rogers.com
Thu Sep 18 02:26:03 UTC 2003

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 00:45:11 +0300, you wrote:

>1.I have friends who are windows users ... now let's assume (and don't tell
>me linux is only for the so called experts ... because every expert started
>once from 0, nada, nix, nothing!) you convince a friend that is used using
>windows to use linux, and you say to him: see here you have installed your
>mp3-player, but it doesn't work because of sw-patents, but if you download
>from some rpm hide-out some obscure plugin "compile" it (new term for a
>beginner), and install it then in some heck of a directory ... and, no ...
>that's not enough: see this is MPlayer, it can play all files existent in
>the world, but then again, it doesn't work, because you need a bunch of
>plugins, and of course recompile it .... i'm sure he'll ask you ....then
>what the f^$& are this tools installed for ? Linux sucks, I want back
>windows ... and so , what have you done ? Make sure that that user will
>never use linux again.

1) for mp3 support you simply need to go to freshrpms.net, get the
binary rpm and install it. (or use apt/yum to get the binary).  No
compiling is necessary.

2) what does your poor windows friend so when they want to play a
quicktime file?  is going to Apple's website, downloading quicktime
player, and installing it too difficult?  What about Acrobat Reader?
Despite common perception Windows (and MacOS X) do not come with
support for every conceivable thing a user may want to do.

Would I like it if Red Hat could provide a default mp3, dvd, etc.
player?  Absolutely.  But having to download software is a necessary
part of having a computer on the net for most people regardless of
what OS they are using.