Redhat Lite

Maynard Kuona knxmay001 at mail.uct.ac.za
Sat Sep 20 12:48:05 UTC 2003

To this end, I would also like to encourage other packages to be moved off
the CDs, on to a fourth CD. A voting system could also help here. The
packages moved onto other cds do not have to be unsupported, but available
off ftp, or on repositories like Fedora. I believe that Redhat could have an
'official' channel in Fedora.

If a rescue cd like Morphix, Knoppix can be used for installing, I have no
doubt that so can Redhat have one. This may be too late for the next release
though. This does not have to be the first cd of a set. It could just be
another cd. The point would be to have a fully working system using only 1
cd, a la Mandrake, Lycoris and others. Stripping out server packages and
stuff like BIND, Apache, one of GNOME/KDE. Make the system as integrated as
possible, which would then probably favour GNOME over KDE (Since Redhat
writes most of its tools in PyGTK). The installation could be nothing more
than copying an image from the CD to the hard drive, then running anaconda
to detect and configure hardware, an the other stuff, (adding users,
configuring network etc). It does not have to be a complex project.
Selecting the packages would probably be the hard part.