Apt/Rawhide update doesn't seem to update kernel. . .

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at welho.com
Sat Sep 20 17:24:58 UTC 2003

Quoting Justin Georgeson <jgeorgeson at lopht.net>:

> Per my experience with debian, and performing the upgrade from RH 9
> betas to RH 9 with apt, apt never grabs a kernel as part of a
> dist-upgrade. In debian, stable/testing/unstable don't actually have a
> specific kernel version assigned to them, they each have a handful of
> major/minor kernels available, which you must install explicitly.

Apt itself doesn't consider kernel special in any way, it's just that usually
the kernel packages are configured as "allow-duplicated". Such packages apt
doesn't even try to upgrade automatically (though I'm working on it :)

Oh and btw the syntax to use with such packages is
"apt-get install kernel#x.y.z", not kernel-x.yz as someone mentioned.

--
    - Panu -