freeswan ipsec module won't insert into latest rawhide kernel - missing symbols?

Nils Philippsen nphilipp at redhat.com
Mon Sep 22 07:34:07 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-09-22 at 08:16, George J Karabin wrote:
> I compiled the latest free/swan release
> (ftp://ftp.xs4all.nl/pub/crypto/freeswan/binaries/RedHat-RPMs/freeswan-2.02-1fs.src.rpm) from SRPM, tweaked to use gcc32, but I can't insert the ipsec.o module into the kernel due to missing symbols (error messages attached).
>
> The symbols are present in the kernel that I'm running when I run 'ksyms
> -a', but only with a suffix, and not an exact match. For example 'ksyms
> -a|grep neigh_compat_output':
> c0219a40  neigh_compat_output_Re194ad7b
>
> I gather that this has something to do with symbol versions differing
> between the kernel that I'm running and the kernel that I'm compiling
> from. Is it possible that the latest Rawhide kernel (2051) generates
> different symbols depending on whether one builds with the kernel SRPM
> or the kernel-source RPM? If that's not it, I'm without a clue so far.

The Makefile in kernel-source adds "custom" to the kernel version which
changes the symbol mangling. If you want to build a module against the
installed kernel-source, you can e.g. grep for EXTRAVERSION in the
Makefile and use "make EXTRAVERSION=<grepped EXTRAVERSION without
"custom"> ..." to build. Of course you have to do the usual:

- make mrproper
- copy of the matching config file from configs/ to .config
- make dep

beforehands.

Nils
     Nils Philippsen    /    Red Hat    /    nphilipp at redhat.com