IEEE1394, SBP2 and External Firewire HDD

Ben Hsu benhsu at dslextreme.com
Mon Sep 22 16:55:41 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-09-22 at 09:21, Jared Smith wrote:

> > My problem is pretty much the same, I can not install Severn with the
> > drive on, if I turn the drive off, I can get the installer to work.
> > Once the installation is done, I can't boot into the box, until the
> > I turn the drive off again.

<snip>

> > I did not have this problem with 9.0, but with Severn (all packages
> > updated from the Severn channel (including kernel)), does not want to
> > work with my drive. This is a small problem for me, as all my music is
> > on the drive, and I'd like to listen to music while working.

See bug 103821. Basically I've been able to get my disk working in
2.4.22 (the latest last I checked kernel) after booting it up with
rescan-scsi-bus.sh. This configuration seems stable (I was able to play
music for several hours), but it might have generated lots of warning
stack traces in my /var/log/messages (I don't remember if it was 2.4.22
or 2.6.0-test* which did that, or both)