IEEE1394, SBP2 and External Firewire HDD

Jim - 815 PIII redhat-jc at insight.rr.com
Mon Sep 22 23:03:16 UTC 2003

Vidyut Luther wrote:
> Hi,
>  I tried to lookup anyone else who had the same problem as me with
> Severn and IEEE1394, I found the following message..
>
>  http://www.redhat.com/archives/rhl-beta-list/2003-July/msg00464.html
>
> My problem is pretty much the same, I can not install Severn with the
> drive on, if I turn the drive off, I can get the installer to work.
> Once the installation is done, I can't boot into the box, until the
> I turn the drive off again.
>
> I did not have this problem with 9.0, but with Severn (all packages
> updated from the Severn channel (including kernel)), does not want to
> work with my drive. This is a small problem for me, as all my music is
> on the drive, and I'd like to listen to music while working.
>
> On my 9.0 system, I could see the drive as /dev/sda and I could mount
> /dev/sda1 /mnt etc, without an issue.
>
> I have a feeling this also has to do with my cdrom not working in Severn
> as well. I have a plextor 52x32x48 CDRW, grub has the line appended to
> say hdc=ide-scsi , but dmesg gives seek errors.
>
> But i'll work on that after I get the firewire to work.
> Nobody responded to the other guy, I'm hoping someone will help me.

I have had plenty of CDROM problems with the prior beta. One of the
problems surrounded the hdx=ide-scsi addition to the kernel. Removing
the additional line allowed me to burn from my writer without any problems.

Here is the cdrom related excerpt from /etc/fstab. (symlinks can obscure
what is really going on. See symlinks below)

/dev/cdrom    /mnt/cdrom       udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
/dev/cdrom1   /mnt/cdrom1      udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0

symlinks point to below:

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root   9 Jul 18 17:25 /dev/cdrom -> /dev/scd0
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root   9 Jul 18 17:25 /dev/cdrom1 -> /dev/scd1
brw-rw----    1 root     disk  15,   0 Jan 30  2003 /dev/cdu31a
brw-rw----    1 root     disk  24,   0 Jan 30  2003 /dev/cdu535
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root  8 Sep 22 17:20 /dev/cdwriter -> /dev/sg1

in my /boot/grub/grub.conf file. I have the following settings. I
haven't tried to burn a cdrom recently. The last time I burned a cd was
with hdd=ide-scsi removed from the kernel. You should be able to copy
the text for your working kernel. Paste it below your present entry.
Rename it to designate that no ide-scsi is there. (Such as RHL no
ide-scsi in the title. Remove the ide-scsi parameter, then save the file
and reboot your system into that kernel version. Then try the cdrom out
and the drive.

title Red Hat Linux (2.4.20-20.9)
         root (hd1,0)
         kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.20-20.9 ro root=LABEL=/ hdd=ide-scsi
         initrd /initrd-2.4.20-20.9.img

----
For the music drive. (My USB / IDE drive is used for the same purpose)

As someone from Red Hat pointed out (bad w/ remembering names)
The problem might be with the last two entries in your etc fstab file. I
have a USB adapter for an IDE laptop drive. It errored out with a disk
check entry. Something about USB is loaded after other programs. I
changed the entry to 0, 0 and the drive mounted and did not lockup any more.

This is a reply anyway. I hope it leads you in the right direction anyway.

No warranties,

Jim

--
For every bloke who makes his mark, there's half a dozen waiting to rub
it out.