Fedora Core, Fedora Project, Fedora/GNU, Fedora BSD, Fedora Coupe deVille, Fedora ala mode

rg grant at tuins.ac.jp
Tue Sep 23 01:29:34 UTC 2003

This naming thing is all too problematic.  What are you guys thinking?
 Is this an end-user distro or not?  Is it even a distro?  Does it sound
like one?

JK, below, makes a good point.  If you call it something as seemingly
abstract on the end user's end as xxx project, the average joe looking
for a Linux distro is likely to pass right over it.  If said 'joe' does
not, and goes on to install it, he or she is most likely going to call
it Fedora Linux anyway.  This abstraction in regard to naming because of
the possibility of a future BSD based release is beyond the average user
- the distinction is one for developers.  Also, the naming of the
downloadable distro as Fedora Core, sounds more like a naming for the
kernel to the average joe; it does not sound like a full distro. Again,
this distinction seems more aimed at developers than end users.

This points to a continuous failing in the Linux community at large -
while it pays lip service to end users, it is still too developer
oriented. Call it geek-oriented if you like, but the average end user
who puts Linux on his or her desktop is not interested in technical
nuances and possible future BSD releases - the average user doesn't even
know or care what BSD is.

Also, if you guys are masking the Red Hat heritage of the 'distro', how
is the average person supposed to even know that the logical follow up
to RH9 is Fedora Project?  Or is it Fedora Core?  Or maybe Fedora Coupe
deVille.

RG