What are consequences (the lack of freedom on the USA)

Matthias Saou matthias at rpmforge.net
Tue Sep 23 09:23:26 UTC 2003

Maynard Kuona wrote :

> Xine, mplayer, VLC. They work well, i.e., show video and all, but they
> are ugly, seem to use some arbitrary toolkit, if any at all. Xine's UI
> is ugly, mplayers is ugly. They lack proper integration into the system
> (KDE/GNOME). They do have frontends for KDE/GNOME, but these are usually
> half baked, and imcomplete. I think there is more to a media player than
> just playing video's and mp3s.

Then just try out totem, it's a nice GNOME2 media player with plenty of
functionalities and neat stuff like movie thumbnails in nautilus etc.
Really good integration, and the good news is that it has the potential to
make it into the main distribution as it can also use gstreamer as a
backend (it uses xine-lib by default), which is completely modular, already
shipped in Red Hat Linux, and to which additional codecs can easily be
added (think mp3, ffmpeg...).

Matthias

 running Linux kernel 2.4.22-20.1.2024.2.36.nptl
Load : 0.21 0.15 0.18