ayo apt rawhide repositories

Jef Spaleta jspaleta at princeton.edu
Tue Sep 23 12:13:51 UTC 2003

rg wrote:
> can one keep up to date with Test 1 => Test 2 via that route?

Can you? Better question, is updating from test 1 something you should
be testing? Is this something the development side want you to test?

For recent rhl betas...upgrading from beta->beta or from beta->release
has not been supported. Any beta testers that use to do that were
working contrary to the engineering goals of the beta phase and were
summarily shot, as per Red Hat Community Population Control guidelines,
section 3 paragraph 1.

Until the development side is ready to state that doing a major
distribution upgrade without install media (like from a repository), or
that a rolling release situation (like we have with ximian's desktop for
example), is going to be a development priority. I'm not really sure its
in the community's best interest for 'serious' beta testers to be trying
to upgrade from test1 to test2 without the install media.

Though a discussion of the pros/cons of allowing non-install media
release->release upgrades would probably be applicable now in certain
places other than this list...with an eye towards influencing later
release cycles. This "beta"/"test" cycle is more old policy than
new....like the webside says..this is evolutionary change in process not
revolutionary.