initscripts and 815 chipset machines

Klaasjan Brand kjb at dds.nl
Mon Sep 22 12:39:02 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-09-22 at 13:50, Jim - 815 PIII wrote:
> There are a series of problems with my Severn installation on an 815
> chipset computer. I was wondering which of the problems others might be
> experiencing also.
>
> 1. Network cable unplugged on startup script. Running dhclient from
> command line will get dhcp address.
>
> 2. Logging into the console will fail for several attempts to login.
> Eventually, the login will be accepted.
>
> 3. using passwd to change passwords comes back with repeated prompts
> that the passwords don't match. It does however change the password to
> the new password selected.
>
> 4. Gnome locks up on initializing screen. (empty box with no process ICONs.)
>
> 5. Mozilla locks up with entering passwords for mail accounts or with
> http logins, like rhn network.
>
> I filed three bug reports for these problems. One was re-assigned to
> initscripts. I think this is probably closer to the problem.

Looks more like you have hardware problems. I'm running RH9 on a i815
system without all those problems. I'd look more into memory or cooling
problems:
- use memtest -> www.memtest86.com to check if your memory isn't broken
(had that problem once with another i815 system which acted erratic).
- check if your processor cooler still runs and use to bios hardware
menu to check if your processor temperature doesn't exceed the limit for
your system. (my p3 runs at about 40 degrees celsius).
- check with dmesg for output from the disk driver (could be some disk
is dying)
- maybe your power supply is flaky...

--
Klaasjan Brand <kjb at dds.nl>