ayo apt rawhide repositories

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Tue Sep 23 12:32:48 UTC 2003

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003, rg wrote:

> I am sure your point is well made, and maybe my phrasing was a bit
> misleading. Of course, the only way to really 'test' the new version is
> via the full install media-based method, but updating is the whole idea
> of Rawhide, isn't it?

i'd like someone to clarify this.  IIRC, rawhide is *not* a repository
for recommended bug fixes or security patches, it's simply a place for
leading edge, at-your-own-risk software for which there are no
guarantees.

it's certainly not clear that *everything* in rawhide is guaranteed to
end up in the next official release, is it?  it might, it might not.
so constantly updating against rawhide might leave you with a system
that is, in fact, *ahead* of the curve on some counts, no?

am i misunderstanding the whole concept of rawhide?  staying on top
of current big fixes/security patches is clearly a good idea.  constantly
updating against rawhide does *not* strike me as similarly recommended.

rday