ayo apt rawhide repositories

Jim - 815 PIII redhat-jc at insight.rr.com
Wed Sep 24 02:08:13 UTC 2003

rg wrote:
> Jef Spaleta wrote:
>
>> rg wrote:
>>

>>> can one keep up to date with Test 1 => Test 2 via that route?
>>>

>> Can you? Better question, is updating from test 1 something you should
>> be testing? Is this something the development side want you to test?
>>
>> For recent rhl betas...upgrading from beta->beta or from beta->release
>> has not been supported. Any beta testers that use to do that were
>> working contrary to the engineering goals of the beta phase and were
>> summarily shot, as per Red Hat Community Population Control guidelines,
>> section 3 paragraph 1.
>>
>> Until the development side is ready to state that doing a major
>> distribution upgrade without install media (like from a repository), or
>> that a rolling release situation (like we have with ximian's desktop for
>> example), is going to be a development priority. I'm not really sure its
>> in the community's best interest for 'serious' beta testers to be trying
>> to upgrade from test1 to test2 without the install media.
>>
>> Though a discussion of the pros/cons of allowing non-install media
>> release->release upgrades would probably be applicable now in certain
>> places other than this list...with an eye towards influencing later
>> release cycles. This "beta"/"test" cycle is more old policy than
>> new....like the webside says..this is evolutionary change in process not
>> revolutionary.
>>

> I am sure your point is well made, and maybe my phrasing was a bit
> misleading. Of course, the only way to really 'test' the new version is
> via the full install media-based method, but updating is the whole idea
> of Rawhide, isn't it? Just a way to see what is going on and keeping
> abreast of the action, so to speak. My question is simply that, in all
> its innocence, is a ayo rawhide update equivalent of the rawhide updates
> on the RH server? Whether this is the best method for "updating," or
> whether doing such is updating at all is not what I am asking.  The
> question still stands.
>
> Why does everyone seem so testy today? The merger got people on edge?
>
> rg

With more methods of getting from one version to the next. You are more
able to figure out where the problems are. You are coming from a stable
system into a system with currently installed programs upgraded. You
will find where the dependecies are and know the working environment a
bit better (familiar with system).

I tried both methods and did not try upgrading to rawhide until the
up2date avenue was opened up. Some of the prior phoebe systems that were
manually upgraded to rawhide were very unpredictable. Some forced
installations of programs. This led to really broken beta candidate
systems. Rawhide upgrading with the repositories is a whole lot better
than what was available earlier.

Good luck on whichever method you choose. Both avenues are interesting
to try out.

Jim