Log-off screen painting noticeably slower

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Wed Sep 24 07:19:32 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-09-24 at 03:38, Robert G. (Doc) Savage wrote:
> We now return to our regularly scheduled beta testing in progress...
>
> I keep my Severn system regularly up2dated. Lately I've noticed when I
> select "Log out" the display no longer darkens smoothly. Now it makes
> three distinct passes -- each a little darker than before and separated
> by a half beat -- as it displays "Are you sure you want to log off?"
>
> My X configuration is:
> ATI Rage 128 Mobility
> LCD Panel 1600x1200
> DefaultDepth 24
> XFree86 4.3.0-32
>
> Is anyone else noticing this behavior? Mike Harris?

I think this is due to a change in gnome-session. Previously it always
did N steps, while now it does the animation in M seconds, with as many
steps there is time for. So, the amount of steps depends on hw
performance to avoid being really really slow on slow systems.

                   alexl at redhat.com    alla at lysator.liu.se
He's a hate-fuelled skateboarding barbarian haunted by an iconic dead American
confidante She's a tortured psychic soap star married to the Mob. They fight
crime!