What are consequences (the lack of freedom on the USA)

Thomas Dodd ted at cypress.com
Wed Sep 24 15:49:45 UTC 2003

Sorry Matthis, I lost the previous message:)

Matthias Saou wrote:
> Maynard Kuona wrote :
>>Xine, mplayer, VLC. They work well, i.e., show video and all, but they
>>are ugly, seem to use some arbitrary toolkit, if any at all. Xine's UI
>>is ugly, mplayers is ugly. They lack proper integration into the system

That is OPINION. I like Xine's UI. I also like the ogle gui. I relly
like that I'm not forced to use it. A replacement could be developed
that I might like better. I have no problem deling with multiple
toolkits. I work with GNOME, GTK+, Motif, and Xt based apps all the
time. I have NO problems using any of them.

I acutally find Win32 and MFC apps BORING, especially MFC.

I also have a lot of time with text only systems, and again had no
problems, as well as the Atari ST, and Amiga GUI's. I often miss the
varitey of those days.

Imagine of every car you sat in looked the same inside (they already
look trhe same outside). Sure some general guidelines, like making the
spedometer clearly visable and easily readable, but is the speedo round,
arced, verticle, or horizontal? My new vehicle, '00 Mercury, has a round
one, my old car, a '70 Cadillac, has it horizontal. I used to switch
between an automatic on the column, one on the floor, and a manual on
the floor. Am I that unusual in that I had no problems?

>>(KDE/GNOME). They do have frontends for KDE/GNOME, but these are usually
>>half baked, and imcomplete. I think there is more to a media player than

They do what the developer wants them to. If you want more, write it.
Take the front end you like best and add the missing features. That the
bueaty of open source. Cannot write? Pay someone to write it for you.
Try getting the code for Windows Media Player or WinAmp to add a feature
you want, or remove one you don't like.

	-Thomas