What are consequences of "merger necessitates removal of ...

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Wed Sep 24 18:21:01 UTC 2003

Mark A. Hoover (mahoover at ispaceonline.org) said:
> I take great offence at that statement.  I've stated many times on the RHN
> lists when they announced the end of the 7.x support on RHN that I'd be
> more than happy to pay the $60/yr RHN fee for continued updates down that
> channel.  As for the RHEL channel, I'm sure that's a great solution for
> businesses, but last I checked, I'm not a business.

A single person paying $60 a year does not cover the expense. Heck, it
doesn't even cover the epxense of office supplies for the person doing
that work.

IOW, the price cannot be determined without knowing the number of people
willing to buy it. Not speaking as a Red Hat cost analysis person, I'd
expect that given the cost of maintaing the OS, and the number
of people actually willing to buy that support for 6.2, the cost
would be significantly higher than $60.

Bill