Red Hat Linux & Fedora (fwd)

Ivan A. Beveridge ivan at dreamtime.org
Wed Sep 24 19:17:31 UTC 2003

On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 03:11:55PM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-09-24 at 15:00, Eric Wood wrote:

> > RedHat has always been known for getting security errata out the door days
> > before the other distro guys.  Now, it is uncertain if errata updates will
> > be released in a timely manner - will RH still step up to the plate in
> > regards to this?.  For example, if Fedora was out and the openssh bug was
> > found, how would it have be fixed.
>
> well, for example there were no fewer than 5 of us on #fedora and on the
> freshrpms mailing list who had applied the same patches and pushed
> functional packages before red hat did for the openssh problems.

Adding to that, I've noticed that fedora is often ahead of RH in releasing
security updates (they do/did it in such a way that the RHL updates
upgrade fedora ones, to try to "stay true" to RHL).

I'm not aware of release / QA procedures in each case, however.

--
Ivan Beveridge	<ivan at dreamtime.org>
		<ivan at dreamtim.demon.co.uk>