beta 1 laptop install and fix

Frank Merenda fmerenda at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 26 00:36:22 UTC 2003

Sorry if this is a dup, I wasn't properly subscribed
to test, so I wanted to repeat this message for laptop
users if it didn't go through.

Yeah, I know beta two is out. :)

I just installed beta 1 (9.0.93) on a Tecra 8200. The
first few times it would hang at /sbin/loader (I
think) - right before the graphical mode started up. I
tried the 'nofb' option, but that didn't work. I then
passed the following into the command line:

linux nofb pci=off

and the install start working correctly.
I had to answer 'no' to 'have driver disk', and 'no'
to 'load driver' when new devices were found on boot.

I also had to change my boot into level 3, and disable
pcmcia, since that service was hanging and preventing
me from booting. I haven't tried any devices in pcmcia
yet, so I don't know if it will work or not. After
that, everything booted fine. I ran startx, and X
started correctly.

My next question is 'where's gnome 2.4'? How do I get
it?

Thanks!
-Frank

=====
- Frank Merenda
Author - Uptime - http://www.steidler.net/uptime/
  -a community based Linux blog and newsletter-
Registered Linux User #234428 - http://counter.li.org
webmaster - Humane Society of Jackson County - http://www.hsjc.com