Initial look at Fedora Core Test 2

Philip Wyett philipwyett at dsl.pipex.com
Fri Sep 26 04:57:11 UTC 2003

Hi,

Some initial spots/impressions of Fedora Core Test 2.

- Doing a workstation install but de-selecting the games section, still
  leaves you with kdelibs being installed.

- Grub boot screen still has messy layout.

- Graphical boot is much faster - Nice! :) Still doesn't look too
  appealing though.

- Beep when graphical login appears is just bloody annoying, but
  I could live with it! :)

- Main part of Gnome panel goes black for around two seconds when
  RH 9 or Severn beta 1.

- 'Desktop' folder in 'home/username' under Gnome 2.4 is a pain because
  it's case sensitive. Not everyone uses upper case in directory naming
  and the ability to rename it 'desktop' or even hide it would be nice.

- Desktop icons way way spread - see:

http://www.philipwyett.dsl.pipex.com/fedora/testing/default_desktop.png

  Cleaning up by name does not rectify this problem. :(

- Alot of the apps when started maximised have a problem in the top
  right corner of the screen - see:

http://www.philipwyett.dsl.pipex.com/fedora/testing/moz_started_max.png

- 1 pixel wide notification area on panel is well known about!

- 'Add/Remove Applications' still doesn't work for installs.

- Mouse console services shutdown permanently fails at shutdown/reboot.

- 'md: Recovery thread got woken up' - This thing seriously needs
  a line of it's own. :)

I'll keep my powder dry on Gaim bugs as I think Havoc will soon
rawhide 0.69.

Regards

Phil

Email: philipwyett at dsl.pipex.com