beta 1 laptop install and fix

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Fri Sep 26 16:36:31 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-09-26 at 11:53, Alan Cox wrote:
> > So - any idea why the performance hit with the use of XFT2/freetype is
> > so large? Any ideas on how to address the issue - or plans for fixing it?
>
> >From the profiling I tried its the Xserver - render acceleration is not
> accelerated. With some cards switching off acceleration using the vesa
> server with shadowfb actualyl speeds stuff up

Another odd thing that can help performance in some cases is to
disable putting pixmaps in video ram .. (I forget the exact
Xaa option for the XFree86Config.)

It probably won't help the desktop as a whole, you lose in some
places what you gain in others, but it will make AA text rendering
significantly faster on most cards.

Regards,
					Owen