0.94 first impressions

Andy Green fedora at warmcat.com
Fri Sep 26 21:02:05 UTC 2003

On Friday 26 September 2003 21:30, Stephan Schutter wrote:

> I vote that the installer PnP all the hardware. Full stop. Why
> would you not want to do that????? If  the hardware is there... it
> is probably for a reason.

Yeah... but what's so special about the set of hardware that was
attached at install-time?  Install time was the smallest fragment of
time that the OS is going to be on the machine.  The rest of the time
you will be swapping hardware and adding new stuff.

So its better that the focus is on automated hardware detection and
usage post-install, since that is when it is most needed.... so why
have th artificial install/post-install distinction at all?

Michael's concept is to make the thinnest possible install action and
invest the rest of the work in a generic "PnP implementation" (in
your terms) which works just as well two years down the line as it
does on install day.

I think that is what you are voting for!

-Andy