Initial look at Fedora Core Test 2

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Sat Sep 27 04:50:13 UTC 2003

>>Why run X on a headless box? Just curious.
>
> To run remote, graphical apps, for example. I use kdm with XDMCP enabled
> on several boxes, and then run "Xnvc -query localhost" on top to get a
> remote GUI.

In that case, you're often better off running GDM without a local X
server. GDM can be configued to XDMCP-only mode very easily: just
comment out "0=Standard" in the [servers] section of
/etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf, and enable XDMCP under the [xdmcp] section.
Woohoo, you're done.

You then have a box with local command-line only (you can still "startx"
or "X -query localhost" to get a graphical session) but you can get GUI
sessions remotely with "X -query targethost" or "Xnest -query
targethost". I use this configuration on the LTSP terminal server at
work. X seems to be the #1 reliability issue with linux, and I'm happy
to keep it off my servers when possible.

Craig Ringer