Performance testing (pass 1)

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at welho.com
Sat Sep 27 12:58:12 UTC 2003

Quoting Stephan Schutter <rhl at farorbit.com>:

> Timings are average of 5 launches. Word on linux, suprisingly, is snappier
> than OpenOffice...

Yeah, I find it rather sickening: MS Office (Word) running in Wine starts AGES
before OO even gets around to show the stupid (because it gets in the way)
banner. On my laptop startup times are on the order of 5 seconds for Word, 21
for OpenOffice on first launch, 3 vs 10 or so on subsecuent launches. My memory
is a bit rusty on details of actual seconds but the order of magintude is the
key here.

Dunno, kudos to Wine folks I guess.. if an "emulated" application starts up and
runs faster than a "native" one... what can I say :-/

--
    - Panu -