more comments on Fedora Core

Dave Ashby dave.ashby at 1993.usna.com
Sun Sep 28 00:08:37 UTC 2003

Elton Woo wrote:

>Gripe 1: why oh, *why* does sendmail take so looooooog to boot?
>Except for this stick in the mud, everything else boots fast  ... on an
>AMD ...

Make sure the first line in your /etc/hosts file is 127.0.0.1 and your
box name (technically FQN and then nickname). If you have other entries
above it, sendmail will hang during boot.

>Gripe 2: smartd ... *really*???  I thought it caused the *two* kernel
>oopses because I left a diskette in the ls-120 (/dev/hdc) drive.
>It also complains of read errors on the *empty* drive, as well as the
>other _empty_ DVD (/dev/hdd) and CDRW (/dev/hdc) drives.
>
>The "three-finger salute" doesn't help, only hitting the reset button
>does... :-(

I get this too, but doesn't hang startup. I've had issues in the past
with kudzu hanging my startup - maybe disable kudzu and try again??

HTH,
-dave