can't install on asus a7n8x

Per Bothner per at bothner.com
Sun Sep 28 20:43:01 UTC 2003

Alan Cox wrote:
>>I had hoped it would work, since I read (mis-read?) that
>>the a7n8x runs on RH 9 without patches.  But that doesn't
>>seem to be the case either - each time I try to do a
>>gcc boostrap (on a different partition than the one I
>

> The supported bits should work. Tried memtest86 and checked the hw ?

I downloaded memtest86 and ran it.  (I had problems with the
sources, but the binary ran fine.)

It reports memory error.s  This is a fairly new DDR 3200 512MB
module, which I haven't used before (because the older motherboards
couldn't handle it), but it may be too late to return it (to Fry's).

So I'm trying to pass badram to the kernel, first to the existing
RH9 installation (which worked fine with an older MB and memory).
So far, so good.  If the gcc bootstrap completes ok (with xemacs
and Mozilla also running), then I'll again try installing Servern2.
I assume it's just a matter of typing
   linux badram=0xef800000,0xef800000
to the boot floppy's command line.  (I'm doing an install from disk.)
--
	--Per Bothner