HDC errors

Dax Kelson dax at gurulabs.com
Mon Sep 29 06:06:35 UTC 2003

On Sun, 2003-09-28 at 18:20, Nick Marsh wrote:
> Why does fedora give a seek error on my system durring every boot.
>

> hdc: drive_cmd: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> hdc: drive_cmd: error=0x04
> hdd: drive_cmd: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> hdd: drive_cmd: error=0x04Aborted Command

This is the smartd daemon (started at boot time) checking your CDROM
drive's S.M.A.R.T. status.

S.M.A.R.T. only applies to hard drives, hence the (annoying) error
message.

The culprit is the "DEVICESCAN" in your /etc/smartd.conf file.

You can't simply remove it though, since then the other example lines
will be used.

My solution (since I only have one IDE hard disk) is to modify my
/etc/smartd.conf file to *only* have the following two lines:

# First (primary) ATA/IDE hard disk.  Monitor all attributes
/dev/hda -a -m dax at gurulabs.com

I'm CCing those those well intentioned people who responded to your
message as well so they will know the true cause of this.

Dax Kelson
Guru Labs